Burton Memorial Tower | Michigan Photo Spot

Share this Page
Burton Memorial Tower by Brad West
Burton Memorial Tower by Brad West

Burton Memorial Tower is an intricate stone tower housing a grand carillon that was built in 1936 as a memorial for University President Marion Leroy Burton. Built of Indiana limestone it features long shallow buttresses extending to the top and emphasizing its height. The tenth floor, on which the bells were housed, was designed to provide opportunity for visitors to view the surrounding terrain from the terrace. The bell chamber which was forty feet high, with an observation floor above, was designed to offer the largest possible openings for the sound of the carillon. (Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA)

See More Work By This Photographer