Saint Gabriel’s by Lana (Ontario Photo Spot)

Share this Page
Saint Gabriel’s by Lana
Saint Gabriel’s Roman Catholic Church & Cemetery sits atop a hill overlooking the Madawaska River in Springtown, between Calabogie and Burnstown. It is the second oldest stone church in the Upper Ottawa Valley. This church was built in 1854 by a mason, Edward McCrea. Before this church was built, worshipers would trek up a hill to St. Patrick’s Church or walked through the bush or canoed down the river to celebrate Mass at McCrea’s Stopping Place. The church was closed in 1952. It opened briefly in 1955 for a funeral and then closed again until a mass was held in 1974 to commemorate 120 years. The structure remains as it was in the early 20th century. (Springtown, Ontario, Canada)

See More Work By This Photographer